Here's my food for thought
i might be slightly OBSESSED with McAlister's chicken tortilla soup.
and their chicken ceaser wraps.
[image from my birthday lunch a month ago.. couldn't choose so i got both]
so i'm not a cook like i have said before.. so all i did was google knock off McAlister's chicken tortilla soup.. and whalaaaaaa i made it! with some advice from mi madre & a little help in the kitchen from my hubby, but I am very proud i attempted it!
AND the best part is, it tasted good! Let's just say I made it to serve 4-6 instead of 2-4 so apparently we will have left overs for the rest of our life!
(if you go onto food.com you can tell it how many people you want it to serve and it will adjust your ingredients.. just noticed that.. a tad late)
What you need:
(according to food.com & a little tweaks that I learned along the way)
side note: I don't like chunks so I pureed anything that looked chunky (rotel, cilantro, creamed corn, & onions)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced - (3 or so pinches)
- 1 onion, chopped -(i used half of a medium sized onion - i don't really like onions unless they are pureed)
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth - (I just used 3 cans)
- 4 cups half-and-half - (i just used the regular carton size)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup - (i just used 1 can)
- 1 cup salsa - (i just used 1 can of rotel, if you want a bigger kick use two)
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn- (i used just 1 can)
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 ounces tortilla chips - (1 bag)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
1/8 cup green onion, chopped(-my mother told me to skip this part)
- bread bowls if you prefer
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in the butter or margarine for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the soup, salsa, corn, chicken, cumin, fajita seasoning and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Stir and continue to heat for 15 minutes.
- Crumble tortilla chips into individual bowls, add 1/2 ounce shredded cheese to each bowl and ladle in soup. Top each bowl with more crumbled chips, remaining 1/2 ounce cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro, few chopped green onions and serve.
it didn't totally taste or look exactly like McALISTER'S but it was pretty daRn close enough and satisfied my craving for it! If you are so lucky to live near one just get your butt in the car and go eat it there! And i will help you out in advance.. if you live any further west than Denver.. you will just have to make it.
btw.. in past post i have noticed that when i write daRn (r in lowercase next to n, looks a lot like a m, rn.. see?)